Feinberg Library Food & Drink Policy Guidelines
Love Your Library and Labs: Leave No Trace
The Division of Library and Information Services (LIS) has adapted the following Leave No Trace principles of outdoor ethics to its food and drink policy* for the LIS-administered areas of the Feinberg Library building.
Food and drink are allowed in the LIS-administered areas of the Feinberg Library building and are subject to the following guidelines and exceptions.
- Deposit all recyclable food and drink packaging in the recycling bins located throughout the library.
- Pack it in, pack it out: carry out any non-disposable dishes, silverware, etc., that you bring into the library.
- Bring drinks in covered, spill-proof containers or capped bottles.
- If you must dispose of beverages, pour liquids into the bathroom sink or water fountain before recycling or throwing away the containers.
- Place food and drink garbage in trash cans carefully to avoid splattering food and drink on the walls and library materials and computer/media equipment.
- Report accidental spills to the staff as soon as possible.
- Food and drink are not permitted in Special Collections.
- Food is not permitted in designated Quiet Study Areas.
- Food is not permitted at any of the computer workstations throughout the library (except for the 1st floor extended lab area and the 2nd floor study carrels).
- Food is not permitted in either of the library's e-classrooms (FL108 and FL129)
- Food is not permitted in library student employee public work areas.
By observing our food and drink guidelines, you help to...
- promote recycling of appropriate food and drink packaging;
- preserve our library collections and protect our facility from pests and harmful molds;
- ensure the health and safety of all library/technology users and a long life for our collections, furnishings, and equipment;
- respect our hard-working custodial staff by taking responsibility for our personal behavior;
- save library and technology funds to purchase materials and equipment in support of the curriculum, rather than to replace items damaged by food and drink.
*For more information
on Leave No Trace principles, visit the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics website.
This policy was revised with permission from Gustavus Adolphus College.
If you have questions about Feinberg Library, please contact:
Research Help Desk
Phone: (518) 564-5290
2 Draper Avenue, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-5182
Fax: (518) 564-5100
Additional Feinberg contact information