- Campus Life
- Cost & Aid
- News & Events
- About Plattsburgh
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires you to extend your program if you will not complete your current degree by the date indicated on item # 5 on your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
You must apply for a program extension and be issued a new Form I-20 or DS-2019 before your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 expires!
1. Your current Form I-20/DS-2019 has not expired.
2. You have new financial documents which show you can support the extra time being requested.
3. You have an important academic or documented medical reason which prevented you from finishing your program as planned.
4. Academic probations or suspensions are not acceptable reasons for a program extension.
1. A completed and signed Program Extension Application for F-1 and J-1 Students Form.
2. New financial documentation to cover the extra time being requested.
3. Medical evidence from a licensed medical doctor or psychologist on official letterhead that states the nature and dates of the illness (only for extensions based on medical grounds).
The extension process is simple and there is no fee.
To apply for an extension, simply complete the required documents above and bring them to GEO.
You must schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisor AND have all the above documents to complete the extension process.
Maintaining your immigration status is your responsibility. Please act in a timely manner to protect your status and to avoid any problems with your stay in the United States.
If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA
Phone: (518) 564-3287
Fax: (518) 564-3292
Facebook: SUNY Plattsburgh International Students