Are you interested in having a rewarding career that makes a difference in people’s lives? Would you like to travel to exotic locations and meet interesting people? Do you have a natural talent in writing, photography, or designing graphics, websites or publications? Then perhaps a career in journalism is for you.
To learn more about careers in journalism, visit The Journalist’s Road to Success.
Primarily on the strength of our curriculum and faculty, recent SUNY Plattsburgh journalism alumni have found success in these rewarding and diverse careers.
- Superstringer for the Chicago Tribune in Ill.
- State House and higher education reporter at the Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.
- General assignment reporter at The Star-Ledger in Newark, N.J.
- Writer at Vien Dong Daily News in Westminster, Calif.
- Page designer at Paxton Media Group in Owensboro, Ky.
- Page designer at Beaver County Times in Beaver, Pa.
- Sports writer at Berkshire Eagle in Mass.
- Copy editor at Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock, Ark.
- Sports writer at The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va.
- Online advertising consultant for Newsday in Melville, N.Y.
- City editor at Eagle Newspapers in Syracuse, N.Y.
- Sports editor at Spotlight Newspapers in Albany, N.Y.
- Music editor at Syracuse New Times in Syracuse, N.Y.
- Editor of The News of Orange County in Hillsborough, N.C.
- Reporter at Cooperstown Crier, Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Reporter at Leader-Herald in Gloversville, N.Y.
- Assistant City Editor for the Rutland Herald, Vt.
- City Reporter at Lansing (Mich.) State Journal
- Reporter/designer for The Citizen in Auburn, N.Y.
- Editor of The Northern Light, Blaine, Wash.
Features Reporter, Times Herald-Record, Middletown, N.Y.
- Managing editor at Marine Corps Times in Alexandria, Va.
- Production team editor at the Utica Observer-Dispatch.
- Senior editor and national editor at United Media Syndicate in New York City.
- Photojournalist at New York Post in New York City.
- Police reporter at The Daily News in southwest Utah.
- News reporter, associate news editor, special publications editor, and a page designer at Press-Republican in Plattsburgh.
- Sports editor and graphic artist for the Syracuse Herald Journal.
- Copy editor and features editor at the Ithaca Journal in N.Y.
- Business reporter at The Monitor in McAllen, Texas.
- Reporter at the Daily News-Miner in Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Photojournalist for the New York Post.
- Copy editor and page designer for the New Haven Register in Conn.
- State editor for the Roswell Daily Record in N.M.
- Crime and court reporter at the Lockport Union Sun and Journal in N.Y.
- Sports editor, weekend editor, page designer, and reporter at the Post-Star in Glens Falls, N.Y.
- Crime reporter at the Bradenton Herald in Fla.
- City editor at the Jacksonville Daily News in N.C.
- Reporter for the Schenectady Daily Gazette in N.Y.
- Reporter, paginator, and photographer at The Saratogian in N.Y.
- Copy editor and reporter at the Adirondack Daily Enterprise.
- Editor of The Northern Light in Bellingham, Wash.
- Page designer at the Albuquerque Journal in N.M.
- Sports reporter at the Journal News in White Plains, N.Y.
- Reporter at the Lake Placid News in N.Y.
- Photojournalist at The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C.
- Copy editor and paginator at The Anderson Independent Mail in S.C.
- Design editor at the Rutland Herald in Vt.
- Copy editor at New Britain Herald in Conn.
- Copy editor at Record-Journal in Meridian, Conn.
- Paginator at Burlington Free-Press in Vt.
- Reporter at Tonawanda News in N.Y.
- Reporter at Colonie Spotlight in N.Y.
- Sports editor at North Adams Transcript in Mass.
- Reporter at Caribbean Life in Brooklyn.
- Associate Web producer at National Geographic in Washington, D.C.
- Writer at Inside Lacrosse in Baltimore, Md.
- Assistant editor at Scholastic News in New York City.
- Editor at WWD in New York City.
- Beauty editor at Allure in New York City.
- Beauty director at Harper’s Bazaar in New York City.
- Editorial staffer with People in New York City.
- Beauty director at Latina in New York City.
- Assistant editor at Beauty Biz in New York City.
- Staff writer at Star in New York City.
- Writer at Fashion Week in New York City.
- Senior associate editor at Pet Age in Chicago.
- Editor of Whatcom Independent in Bellingham, Wash.
- Reporter at Financial Week magazine.
- Senior editor at TWICE magazine in New York City.
- Reporter at Dealing With Technology magazine in New York City.
- Freelance reporter for Ultimate Grappling, Boxing Digest, Full Contact Fighter and Fighter’s Only magazines.
- Managing editor at High Performance automotive trade magazines in Tampa, Fla.
- Paginator at Creative Loafing in Atlanta.
- Reporter for Waters Technology in New York City.
- Reporter for Gannet’s Albany Bureau in N.Y.
- Assistant Editor for wetpaint.com in New York City.
- Business development specialist for the State of Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Nashville, Tenn.
- Marketing writer and photographer for Swarovski Crystal, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Owner of Bounce House Studios in Amsterdam.
- Writer for TVLine.com in New York City.
- Local editor for Patch.com in Kinnelon-Butler, N.J.
- News reporter and online content manager for ABC-50 in Watertown, N.Y.
- Divisional vice president of public relations for Coach in New York City.
- Vice president of public relations at communications for Lancôme in New York City.
- Producer at Aljazeera Networks in Malaysia.
- Production assistant at WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) in Stamford, Conn.
- Executive director of news services at Syracuse University.
- Producer at CNN International in New York City.
- Author of An Inside Job, a New York Times best-seller that first exposed the savings and loan scandal.
- Producer, writer, and editor for CBS’s sportsline.com.
- Director of volunteer programs at Norwich University in Vt.
- Reporter for Red Money Group in Malaysia.
- Community editor at CBS Interactive in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Assistant Communications Director for the Michigan Attorney General.
- Editor of Lake Champlain Weekly in Plattsburgh and author of a book on the Underground Railroad.
- Community Relations Manager for Barnes and Noble in Boston.
- Technical writer for IBM and BRS software.
- Editor and co-owner of The Redline Report, a national hockey publication.
- Proofreader at The Topps Company in New York City.
- Senior reporter and producer at DNAinfo.com in New York City.
- Publications specialist for the Association of Towns of the State of New York in Albany.
- Marketing and communications director at the Greater Watertown (N.Y.) North Country Chamber of Commerce.
- Border security agent in Ogdensburg, N.Y.
- ESL teacher in South Korea and northern Iraq.
Some graduates chose to attend graduate school before beginning their careers
- City University of New York.
- Syracuse University.
- University of Missouri, Columbia.
- Northwestern University.
- University of New Mexico.
- University of Oregon, Eugene.
- Albany Law School.
- SUNY Stony Brook.
SUNY Plattsburgh Career Development Center
Our Career Development Center provides services, resources, and programs designed to help students and alumni to better understand the career development process, and to enhance their professional preparation and employability.
If you would like to learn more about the journalism and public relations programs at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Shawn Murphy, Chair
Office: Ward Hall 241