Counselor Education Faculty — Dr. Richard L. Schnell
State University of New York Distinguished Service Professor
Coordinator, Mental Health Counseling
Director, Counseling Services Clinic
- Oxford Round Table, St. Anne's College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Ph.D. study in Social Welfare (ABD), University at Albany, State University of New York (1984-1991).
- Ed.D., Mental Health Administration & Counseling, University of Massachusetts at Amherst (1978).
- M.Ed., Systems Design & Administration, University of Massachusetts at Amherst (1976).
- M.S. in College & Agency Counseling, State University of New York at Plattsburgh (1972).
- B.A. in Psychology, Cum Laude, State University of New York at Plattsburgh (1971).
- Psychopathology & Mental Health Counseling.
- Substance Abuse Counseling.
- Mental Health & Community Counseling.
- Suicide Assessment & Counseling.
- Counseling Practicum.
- Mental Health Counseling Internship I & II .
- Research Design and Methods.
- Healing, Spirituality and Counseling (summer).
- Adventure-Based Counseling (summer).
- Writing Haiku & Healing (Honors).
- Vision, Leadership & Creativity (Honors).
- Transforming Matter into Spirit: Carl Jung, Rockwell Kent, Frank Lloyd Wright (Honors).
State and National Clinical Certifications
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC).
- Masters Addiction Counselor (MAC).
- National Certified Counselor (NCC).
- New York State Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CSASC) (not current).
Awards and Honors
- State University of New York Distinguished Service Professor Award (2006).
- State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (1999).
- New York Delegate, American Association of State Counseling Boards (2007).
- Fellow, American College for Mental Health Administration (2006).
- Faculty Inductee, 25th Anniversary Celebration ODK Leadership Honor Society (2006).
- Faculty Inductee, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (2006).
- Fellow, Institute for Ethics in Public Life (2003).
- Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Honor Society (1996).
- Psi Chi, Psychology Honor Society.
- "Substance Abuse Counselor of the Year," NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Services.
Mental Health Counseling, Substance Abuse Counseling and Prevention Services Experience
- Mental Health Counselor, New York State Board of Mental Health Practitioners (2006-Present).
- Executive Director; Treatment Director, Champlain Valley Family Center (state licensed).
- Director, Drug Treatment Services, Massachusetts Dept. of Mental Health (Holyoke/Chicopee Area).
- Director of Children Services, Massachusetts Dept. of Mental Health (Holyoke/Chicopee Area).
- Primary Psychologist, Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (Holyoke/Chicopee Area).
- Executive Director; Treatment Director, Crisis Center (state licensed).
- Vice-Chair, Credentialing Advisory Board, New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Services.
- Chair, Ethics Committee, NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Services Credential Advisory's Board.
Leadership and Professional Service
- Vice-President, New York State Board for Mental Health Practioners (2006-Present).
- Mental Health Counselor Member, State Board for Mental Health Practioners (2003-Present).
- President, Northeastern New York Mental Health Counselors Association (2002-Present).
- Treasurer, North Atlantic Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (2001-Present).
- President, Northeastern New York Counseling Association - NENYCA (2000-2001).
- President, New York Board for Certified Professional Counselors (1996-2000).
- Treasurer, New York Counseling Association (2000-2001).
- Editorial Board, Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling, International Association of Addictions and Offender Counseling (1996-1998).
Counseling & Student Services in Higher Education
- Director, Inmate Higher Education Program (Clinton Community College & Clinton Correctional).
- Faculty, Upward Bound Program, State University of New York at Plattsburgh (8 years).
- Career Counselor, Career Counseling Services, State University of New York at Plattsburgh.
Office: Ward 107G
Office Phone: 564-4167